Monday, September 27, 2010

Understanding What I Love.

"I don't understand how you can give up your car , your house, your job and everything else to live in a tiny apartment in Paris." my mother complains.

I try to explain:
"I love the corner cafe where I go to have coffee, lunch, read a book, and people watch. The guys who work there are so friendly." I explain.

"I love the fresh fruit and vegetable market around the corner..."
"and the men in the orange aprons seem to understand my French a little better each month, although they still laugh as they correct me." I add to my explanation. I've never touched the fresh fish, but it's nice to know it's there if I ever decide to try it!
"I love the smell of fresh roasted chickens, and the friendly butcher who's always very patient with my French."


I try to explain how comforting it is to know the young man at the Fromagerie knows me as "The American girl who likes Cheddar Cheese." He assures me with a friendly smile, the cheese will always be there waiting for me when I return. I even love the temptation of the boulangerie...and now they have cookies!

Still, she doesn't understand what I love and I can't explain it and better.

2 comments:

  1. All the things you described that you love are not material things, ie; cars, house, etc, but a way of life. You love living the life in Paris. Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paris is just magical. You have to feel it to believe it. Invite your mum over, she'll soon see : )

    ReplyDelete