Friday, July 22, 2011

A Floating Island and Mousse au Chocolate

"You have to try it." Chef Robbin insisted, before taking a spoonful of her dessert.
"What is it?", I asked having no idea if it were ice cream, whipped cream, or a lump of frosting.

"It's Ile Flottante, also called Floating Island." Robbin explained with a smile of amusement that I had never heard of this French dessert made from whipped egg whites.

"I can never get past Mousse au Chocolate", when I see it on the dessert menu, I confessed.


Chef Robbin (as I like to call her) and Dessert

Mousse au Chocolate and Ile Flottante

Me (my hand is still bandaged from falling, but I can still hold a spoon) and Dessert
After returning home, I researched the recipe and found this one to share, just in case you can't come to Paris and try this wonderful dessert for yourself:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/ile-flottante-recipe/index.html

If you're like me and cannot resist  Mousse au Chocolate, here's the perfect recipe:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2008/05/perfect-chocola/

Counting down the days until Robbin returns to the States next Tuesday, what better way to spend the afternoon than over dessert?

2 comments:

  1. Love, love, love ile flottante! My favorite dessert. Not sure I have the courage to try making it tho'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Cali, I loved it too!

    I think it's easier to visit Paris and enjoy it rather than spend 2 hours in the kitchen making it!

    ReplyDelete