Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sunday Dinner with Reverend Dr. Eugene Callender

Walking to Patricia's Soiree Dinner, with 2 fresh baguettes under my arm, I felt almost French as I noticed how many other men and women were also carrying fresh bread. "Where are they going?" I wondered. As I walked past the tourist filled sidewalk cafe's, it seemed as if they watched me walk past with those same thoughts, "I wonder where she's going?"

Tonight, I'm going to listen to Patricia's guest, Reverend Dr. Eugene Callender speak about how one person can make a difference in the world. He spoke about how he met Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, and a few of the things he learned from him. For example, the idea and importance of Leadership during the Montgomery Bus Boycott in December 1955. Dr Callender spoke about the importance of "passion" and how passion in a cause is the fuel that drives the movement.

I recognize the passion that burns inside of me.

He also spoke about Peace, sharing that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. said to him, "When a person hates, the only one it harms is the hater." Peace was the foundation of the movement towards Social Justice. Dr. Callender shared about his meetings and conversations with President Kennedy and Robert Kennedy. He gave us insight into the U.S. government past and present. He inspired us to take action in the direction of our passions.


Leaders with Passion


Lastly he explained a part of the current problems in our government today, stating that President Obama is the leader of a government created on the idea of the people by the people and how "of the people" is the cause of some issues of today because the "of the People" part of our government is not in agreement with the President, who can only lead but not dictate.

This was another very insightful dinner soriee at Patricia's.

Read more about Patricia's guest, Dr Eugene Callender here:
http://www.dreugenecallender.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment