Thursday, October 15, 2009

Café Noisette, S'il vous plaît?

Usually after a French lunch or dinner, I order a Café crème (kuh-fay khremm) which is, as it sounds, coffee served in a large cup with hot cream. My French friends tell me, it is not 'normally' ordered after dinner. Instead, it's more of a morning drink.

I usually reply, "Well, I'm American and I want it after dinner, please."
Today, however (just as Elisabeth warned me during our time in Marseille), my "American Ways" are gradually changing. After lunch, I asked for a Cafe Noisette.

Café Noisette (kuh-fay nwah-zett) is espresso with a dash of cream in it. It is called "noisette," French for hazelnut, because of the rich, dark color of the coffee.

I will always be an American, but maybe I will start having coffee, more like the French.

Delicious, after lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment