Sunday, November 8, 2009

Rice, Roses and Christmas Lights!



It's Sunday, and I'm still sick. I thought I was getting over this cold, but it wants to stay for a little while longer. I decide to make some chicken in my slow cooker, but I want some rice to go with it, so I get dressed and go to the supermarket just behind my apartment to buy one bag of rice.

The sales clerk at the supermarket was a man from Africa in an annoyingly jolly mood (you know those kind of happy-for-no-good-reason people?). "blah,la,la,la,le,le..." he says to me in French with a big smile as I hand him my one bag of rice to ring up. "blah, la,la,la,la,le, luh" he continues with an even bigger smile. I give him my "I'm American, I don't speak French, I'm hungry, and I have a Cold" grouchy look with no words and no smile.

"You don't speak French?" he asks (in English) still smiling and beaming. What's he so happy about?, I wonder. "Je parle un peu français." I said in a voice that came out sounding like a cross between a frog and an 85 year old man. He looked shocked to hear my croak and replied, "Oh my!? You speak a little French. Here, these are for you! For Free! Roses for you! Okay?" as he reached next to his cash register and handed me a bouquet of 20 roses." His kind-for-no-reason gesture cracked a smile on my grouchy face. "Merci." I croaked as I walked away. "I hope you feel well soon." I heard him say as I reached the exit.

Walking down the street back towards my apartment with one bag of rice and a bunch of fresh roses, I wondered. "What cashier gives a grouchy looking customer a bunch of roses for free?" "Just another reason I really love living in Paris", I think to myself as I notice more men putting up more Christmas lights. I smile and take a few photos for the blog.



Lights!


Lights!

...and more Lights!

Rice, Roses, and Christmas lights is all it takes to make me smile even when I'm not feeling well in Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment