Thursday, May 28, 2009

Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (Runner's Knee)

Wanna know why I did not blog yesterday (Tuesday)? I was in sooooooo much pain, I took just about every pain pill I had in my kitchen. Yes, that's were I store them, not in the bathroom, like most sensible people.

Yesterday, I could barely walk. Today I went to the clinic and was told I have Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome. Sounds more serious than its more common name "Runner's Knee"; it sounds like I might actually have some sort of elite athlete injury huh? Here's what it is and how it occurs:

Patellofemoral pain syndrom is pain behind the kneecap. It can occur from overuse of the knee in sports and activities such as running, walking, jumping or bicycling.

The kneecap (patella) is attached to the large group of muscles in the thigh called the quadriceps. It is also attached to the shin bone by the patellar tendon. The kneecap fits into grooves in the end of the thigh bone (femur) called the femoral condyle. With repeated bending and straightening of the knee, you can irritate the inside surface of the kneecap and cause pain.

If I had stretched more than I did before I ran, this would have prevented the large tight quad muscles from pulling on the kneecap causing it to rub on the bone.

I should have thought about (if you've read a few blogs back) when we celebrated the Girl's Weekend in Vegas, when I danced, my knees hurt. So why would I think I could go out and run 10k, 6.2 miles using these same knees without taking precautions?!?

Today I got a few prescription strength pain killers and muscle relaxants to get me through this, but I wonder if there's a drug to help with missing common sense?

Anyway, I will recover soon and I'm already thinking about running the Colorado Springs "Peak Challenge" this weekend. (do not apply common sense when reading that). Yes, that gives me 3 days to rest and recover before I try this 10k running thing again. What can I say, I like to run! Hopefully I will be recovered by Saturday, and fully recovered before leaving for Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment