Saturday, July 4, 2009

Words of Wisdom from Adrian

In case you are just starting to read my blog, I'll say again that I am fortunate to be working with Adrian Leeds (http://www.adrianleeds.com/ ) here in Paris and every now and then says things to me that ring bells in my head and turn on the light bulb.

I want to share those moments when they happen. She's a naturally intelligent, kind and "wise" woman and like a rare, finely cut gem, there are many facets to Adrian. Shining today was kindness and compassion followed later by tough as nails "kick ass" business woman.

As we were walking back to her office on a beautiful Paris afternoon, with a nice cool breeze in the air, I was telling Adrian that I have pretty much given up on having childen of my own, (I've almost given up on meeting a great man too, because of Pierre, but that's another blog...another day...) and besides that, I told her, that I thought babies were way too much work, time consuming, and high maintenance becuase not only are there the smelly diapers - you also have to give them a BATH!



A Random "High Maintenance" French Baby...A Bundle of Love

She laughed and her face lit up as she said, "Florence, once you have your own child, it's like a kind a love you can't explain, there's nothing like it, " she said, "and everything you do for them, you do in love. That's just the way it is when you have child."


I could tell the words she spoke were coming from her heart, and I could see it all over her face. It reminded me of how my own mother tries to explain a mother's love to me...I get it now! Well, honestly, I can really only say, I kinda get it now, becuase I'm not a mother, but listening to Adrian today...I really kinda get it even more. Maybe those little buggers aren't so bad after all?!


Later this afternoon she was on a teleconference discussing a business deal. She was explaining how to work certain details. Listening in to the conversation, my suggestion was...a "nice" idea to make everyone "happy"....and so I suggested that to her. Yes, I'll admit, I thought a candy coating was a nice idea...That's when she "nicely" yelled: "Florence, this is BUSINESS NOT BULLSHIT!" Then she explained, in business you have to work with the FACTS! even if they are not always "nice". I understood.


In life, I would like to "be nice" to everyone, no matter what's in my best interest (or theirs) , but the light bulb is on now, and I see that not only in business, Life as well is not all always about "being nice." I get it!

2 comments:

  1. OMG! Did you hear? Sarah Palin is resigning as Governor of Alaska on July 26th!

    And... You have to go to this website! Absolutely fascinating 3D-surround images. Go meet Eric Rougier if you can. :)

    http://fromparis.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I did hear (read via internet). I wonder what she's up to now? Okay, I will check out the site...Thanks.

    ReplyDelete